The Brooklyn Botanic Garden

This week, I took a trip to New York to visit friends and family and to bring closure to some important events in my life. I started in Brooklyn, getting lost on the one-way streets and flanked by people hustling on each sidewalk. I stayed at a friend's apartment and we talked photo, video, cameras, and prints until the early morning. The following morning, I walked (the LONGEST way) around Prospect Park to the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens. I was so excited to go back, having not been there for at least 15 years.
The only thing I remember from when I was child (besides that it is gorgeous there) was the lily pond. I navigated to it, using my map like a tourist, all the while trying to ignore the hundreds of children milling around in their PS-number shirts and their teachers yelling at them in their native nasal New York accents. 
This was on my way to the pond, when I stopped to see the Japanese flower garden and koi fish.

The Lily Pond

For the next three hours or so, I wandered around the conservatories, shooting a variety of flowers and plants in rainforest, desert, and other climates. 

In one of the conservatories was the bonsai room. Meticulously-trimmed and manicured trees stood in miniature on display blocks around a meditative water and rock pond.
This tree is said to be hundreds of years old and is carefully preserved in the bonsai room using temperature control.
one of the bonsai trees
root detail

I also wandered into the "food" section of the gardens where they grow fruit, vegetables, and spices. I happened to catch this bee pollinating a flower nearby.
Don't you want to pet it? It looks so fluffy!

Needless to say, the morning I spent at the gardens was one of the most tranquil, reflective, and beautiful days I've spent by myself lately (aside from trying to block out the noise of nearly a thousand 6- and 7- year olds). Stay tuned for photos of the various water birds of Prospect Park!

www.amyhefterphotography.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May the Vertigo Be With You - Nik Wallenda Walked the Grand Canyon

Paris: An Arch, A Tower, and A River

Half and Half