The Last Roll

My friend shared this video with me and I found it thought-provoking. Video cameras followed National Geographic freelance photographer Steve McCurry as he shot the very last roll of Kodachrome 64 color slide film ever produced. On his 6-week personal journey, he revisited New York and India to take iconic images with the one of the most remarkably brilliant color film ever made.



After watching this video, I thought about what taking an iconic photo means to people in general and how valuable a captured image is to a photographer.


Iconic images, as demonstrated by the National Geographic journal and society, evoke a feeling in the person or group viewing the image. Some of the most famous images, like the one below, shot by McCurry in 1984, the image is captured with such precise color and detail, it feels like the young woman is right in front of you.
Afghan girl
read the full article about this photograph here

McCurry sought the perfect 36 images throughout his travels. He settled on relaxed portraits of public figures, celebrities, and local entertainers. His portraits are wonderful: the lighting is perfect, the people are beautiful, and each frame tells a story. But I was moved to write this not because of the technical aspects of this project but for the emotional and philosophical angle. This incredibly skilled, freelance photographer set out on a time-constricted journey to shoot 36 of the best images possible. That is a tremendous amount of pressure to put on yourself. Finishing a roll of film - be it a regular roll of black and white, or even the most generic 24-exposure, drug-store-brand color - is not something that should be rushed or subject to a time constraint. I still have a roll of black-and-white film in my Konica from many months ago that I have yet to finish. 

So why am I waiting? Maybe because I'm holding out for the penultimate time to capture a scene in all its monochromatic glory. Reality is, I can't expect to shoot a National Geographic cover-worthy photograph with the rest of my shots, but I will capture important moments in my life. They might not be the best light or of a remote indigenous person, but when I press that shutter button and feel the camera shudder in my hands, I'll know that I'm making a physical memory in a way that won't be around much longer. The value in that experience will help me appreciate my art form and my life in a deeper sense. 

When you take out your phone or digital camera, think about what you are capturing: How does this scene or person strike you and why did you pull out your device? How can you take the best image of the situation? What will you do with this image after you take it? Will you share it with the world or keep it private?

Always keep in mind how the painstaking and precise development of film photography has shaped the instant-gratification visuals of the digital photography age. 
Make each shot count, and it will be iconic.



Below is a selection of McCurry's photographs. He has a tremendous body of work, so if you have time to take a look through his galleries, it is well worth it:
Lhasa, Tibet 
Philippines 
Robert De Niro, New York, USA
Seal, New York, USA
Russia
 Jodhpur, India
 Afghanistan
 Ahmadi Oil Fields, Kuwait
Burma
 Cambodia
 Bodhisattva, Avalokiteshvara, Bayon, AngkorWat, Cambodia
Kathmandu, Nepal

Steve McCurry's Magnum Portfolio

All photos ©Steve McCurry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Capturing Natural Spirals

Half and Half

Paris: The Jewish Quarter, Louvre Courtyard and A Phallic Eiffel Tower